This post may contain affiliate links.
Coconut oil is a healthy choice in the kitchen and it also has a ton of cool uses in the beauty department.
While many of us apply lip balm daily, we’re often unaware of the dangerous chemicals found inside most store-bought balms, which include:
- humectants that pull moisture out of the skin,
- parabens that mimic estrogen and have been linked to breast cancer,
- synthetic colors and dyes that contain toxic and carcinogenic chemicals, and
- chemical sunscreens, like oxybenzone, which disrupt the endocrine system causing endometriosis.
Organic coconut oil, on the other hand, is a pure product that contain anti-inflammatory, hydrating, and healing properties – great news for your skin, hair, and nails. In addition, the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil fight off microbes, and through oil pulling can reduce plaque build up, prevent tooth decay, and fight gum disease.
Ingredients you want to add to homemade lip balm:
- Beeswax – Beeswax has antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and healing properties. It’s high in Vitamin A, which aids in cell turnover, reduces wrinkles, and improves uneven skin tone. It’s also noncomedogenic, so you can add it to facial products and not have to worry about it clogging your pores.
- Cocoa Butter – Cocoa butter reduces the appearance of stretch marks, soothes minor burns and rashes, heals chapped lips, and hydrates dry skin. Plus, it smells really good!
- Grapeseed Oil – Grapeseed oil is a natural skin and sun protectant packed with vitamins A, E, and K.
- Scented Food-Grade Oils – Oils can introduce fun scents to your diy lip balms.
- Old lipsticks – Stir in your favorite lip color for a tinted balm.
- Freeze Dried Raspberries – For an all-natural tint.
- Lip Balm Kit – A lip balm kit makes the usually tedious job of pouring the balms into tubes a breeze and the entire process a lot more fun!
Nourish your lips and pamper your soul with these coconut oil lip balm recipes you’ll be proud to call homemade!
1. Coconut Oil, Honey, and Lavender Lip Balm | The Coconut Mama
2. Coconut Oil Vanilla Lip Balm | Radiant Life Catalog
3. Peppermint Coconut Oil Lip Balm | Mrs Amber Apple
4. Summer Orange Sunburst Lip Tint | Soap Queen
5. Cooling Honey Lip Balm | Live Simply
6. Maroon, Deep Red Maroon, and Brownish Pink Tinted Balms | DIY Natural
7. Tinted Raspberry Lip Balm | Hello Glow
8. Calendula Infused Naturally Tinted Lip Balm | Scratch Mommy
9. Chocolate Lip Balm | Wildly Organic
10. Tropical Pineapple Lip Balm | Creative Live
11. Coconut Lemon Lip Balm | 1 Million Woman
12. Pink Grapefruit Lip Balm | Get Inspired Everyday
13. Coffee Lip Balm | Soap Deli News
14. Coconut Mango Lip Balm | The Nerdy Farmwife
If you’re waiting on a rainy day to make your coconut oil lip balms, Sky Organics has a 6 pack of organic lip balms with all the essential ingredients your lips crave and none of chemicals you don’t!
Like this post? Pin It on Pinterest to save for later!